Tuesday, January 12, 2010

i've been shopping, ooh la la

listening to: empire state of mind - alicia keys/jay z
So, today I brought a new black day dress. It's weird how I have gone this long without owning such a basic ingredient in the wardrobe mix... I have plenty of black dresses, it's just they are all nighttime-only-appropriate. It's quite simple but has got some nice draping action going on - love love love draping - which makes it a bit snappier. I've been spending all afternoon pondering what to pair it with...

I really want a long, grey marle cardigan that I can pull on overtop, and belt with a patent leather black belt. Then I'd spice it up with a really big chunky statement necklace (black too) and some killer heels. Like my black gladiators, a la Carrie Bradshaw... I know they were all the rage a couple of years ago now, but I still ADORE them. I like to think I'm not a slave to the seasons anyway. And in the winter I want some really cute ribbed black leggings (you know the kind I mean - vertical stripes, some sheer, some opaque). Don't think ribbed is the right description there (it makes me think of jersey, but it's not jersey) but meh. and some wee black ankle booties. I don't like how some people are so anti-black. I don't mind black setting the tone for an entire outfit, as long as you break it up with some interesting patterns/textures (ie, the tights) or different shades of blacks (people might think that last sentence is an oxymoron, but it's not. Kohl black is completely different to something more sheer). I think my affinity to black comes not only from being on the chunky side, but also from living in Dunedin for 4 years. That whole city wears black to DEATH.

I also got a really cute blue sequinned quasi-blazer from Jeanswest. It's pretty Balmain on a budget... No, of course it does not compare to the genius of Christopher Decarnin, but with an additional 40% off the sale price (meaning about $100 off the original price) I'm not going to be too fussy. The cut of it is actually pretty good, as is the fabric; here's hoping the quality of the stitching holds up too. I think it'll look really cute with all of the afore-mentioned LBD's for a night on the town, and might even work with the new black dress to party up an otherwise staid office outfit.

All in all, it was a good day to be Alana's wardrobe, but not such a good day to be Alana's bank balance. Oh well... I know which I would rather have more of!! I guess that's a sign I really am a slave to clothing.

6 comments:

Online Poster Printing said...

That actually reminds me that I haven’t shopped for a while. And the last thing I bought was a black dress, which was eons ago. I really have to buy new wardrobe asap.

What She Said said...

Think my shopping/gift guide blog might just be perfect for you doll!

Check it out;

www.saidshewhat.blogspot.com

What she said :) xx

koushik said...

Love your blog! Think you might be interested in checking mine out as well, follow if you're interested! Please Visit - Cheap flights to Manila or Cheap Flights to Kathmandu or Cheap flights to Bangkok or Cheap Flights To Dubai.

roye said...

Consistent with "reverse positioning" understand the REAL Second coming would equate with The Matrix's Anti-Christ, the fake battle of good and evil which will come at the end.
I have spoken on this issue in years past. Understanding how they use the political environment to redefine people's value system, realize anyone who speaks of the old world and its ways will envoke hatred. So when/if the Anti-Christ comes along speaking of reverting back to what liberalism would consider repressed and immoral may be the only hope to salvage the god's favor and keep moving forward rather than begin the 1000 year clock. The fake Second Coming will feed into this political enviornment.
Cheap Flighs to Nairobi
Flights to Nairobi
Nairobi Flights

roye said...

Consistent with "reverse positioning" understand the REAL Second coming would equate with The Matrix's Anti-Christ, the fake battle of good and evil which will come at the end.
I have spoken on this issue in years past. Understanding how they use the political environment to redefine people's value system, realize anyone who speaks of the old world and its ways will envoke hatred. So when/if the Anti-Christ comes along speaking of reverting back to what liberalism would consider repressed and immoral may be the only hope to salvage the god's favor and keep moving forward rather than begin the 1000 year clock. The fake Second Coming will feed into this political enviornment.
Cheap Flights to Harare
Flights to Harare
Harare Flights

Vogue Sky said...

So dreamy! Now I feel like reading magazine in my bed!